The Construction Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing the construction of homes in assigned community(s) to ensure cost, schedule and quality standards are met. Manages all construction activities for assigned homes, assists in the scheduling of homes, supervises trade partner’s work, maintains the overall community job sites for safety and appearance and is responsible for the customer experience throughout the building process.
Construction Managament Responsibitlies:
People Management Responsbilties:
Level: Mentor / Coach / Feedback
Without Direct Reports
- Oversee the scheduling and supervision of daily trade partner activities and evaluates the quality and efficiency of their work.
- Reviews and requests modifications to construction drawings when construction conflicts arise.
- Evaluates project schedules and will update and determine appropriate modifications to project schedule and resources to reflect project's needs as they arise to ensure timely completion
- Takes affirmative action to make sure each home is complete on schedule & ensures all contract obligations & safety protocols are satisfied. Stops any work that is not satisfactory or noncompliant with plans, specifications, or applicable code.
- Manage the customer experience throughout the entire construction process, including regular communications to keep them informed of progress and taking action and negotiating solutions to address any concerns.
- Interact with Community Sales personnel to manage community performance and customer activities.
- Complete daily inspections to ensure job sites adhere to state, federal and company safety and SWPPP standards. Take immediate action, including adjusting the construction process or shutting down work if necessary, to achieve a safe working environment and comply with requirements.
- Negotiate, create, and authorize field purchase orders for materials and labor resources as needed.
- Inspect and determine whether trade partner workmanship and product quality is completed on time and within defined scope of work. Authorize payment to trade partner when all standards are met.
- Collaborate with the Product Development, Process Improvement, Resource Planning and Purchasing teams to address areas of improvement on plan quality, schedule adherence and budgetary challenges.
- Evaluate work of trade partner to ensure work complies with local, state and federal building code requirements and company standards of workmanship.
- Participates in trade partner recruiting and vetting.
• Directs, schedules, evaluates, and manages the work of trade partners. Will provide recommendations for the dismissal or continued engagement of trade partners.
With Direct Reports
• Hires, terminates, and evaluates the performance of Assistant Construction Managers. Utilizes recruiting and selection tools/processes to build organizational talent
• Delegates work according to employee’s abilities and skills
• Evaluates employee’s performance and plans for compensation actions and promotions in accordance with that performance
• Provides developmental opportunities through identification of internal and external training opportunities
• Creates opportunities for employee growth
• Provides continuous coaching with regard to functional and leadership standards (technical skills and behaviors)
(decision making, size of organization, budgetary etc.)
• Decision Impact: Community/Division
• Department Responsibility: Single
• Community Budgetary Responsibility: Yes
• House Budget Adherence Responsibility: Yes
• Direct Reports: Yes
• Physical Requirements: Position involves sitting, standing and/or movement, the ability to exert minimal force of up to 50 pounds and occasionally exert up to 80 pounds of minimal force to carry, lift, push, pull and otherwise move objects. Must be able to climb ladders, scaffolding and other means to reach and observe all areas of building.
• Ability to work in various weather conditions – heat, rain, cold, etc.